The Lord Baltimore hotel was designed by William Lee Stoddard and it officially opened on the 30th of December 1928. At the time of its construction, the hotel was the largest hotel in the state of Maryland. It is made with brick veneer over steel frame. The mansard roof, which has turned green with age, can still be seen today.
Lord Baltimore hotel was the brainchild of Harry Busick. After his death, his three sons took over the hotel and sold it for $7 million to H.R. Weissberg. The hotel went up for auction in 1969 after Weissberg filed for bankruptcy in 1967. For some time, the hotel had restrictive policies for guests. However, after the Baltimore City Council passed an ordinance prohibiting racial segregation, they voluntarily ended their policies. Today, the Lord Baltimore Hotel is operated by Radisson Hotels and it is now officially known as the Radisson Plaza Lord Baltimore hotel.
The Lord Baltimore hotel is rife with reports of ghosts. There is the ghost of the young girl who is continuously seen on the hotel’s 19th floor and even in the ballroom. She is often seen in her long, cream dress and black shoes playing with her red bouncing ball. The hotel’s supervisor, Frank Carter, has seen the ghost of the little girl, as well as the ghosts of two adults. Sometimes, the little girl can be seen screaming, crying and rocking herself back and forth.
There is talk of a young girl’s suicide on the 19th floor. It is said that the hotel’s elevators make constant trips to the 19th floor at night even when no one is ringing the bell. People have reported being touched by unseen hands in the elevator, as well as the lobby. Guests who are sensitive to the paranormal have reported waking up with nightmares. They have also complained about an unseen presence lingering in their rooms whilst they sleep.